Sunday, July 16, 2006

Tatianna's Birth

I wanted to send out a little birth story to you.

I do expect to be there on Thurs. for coffee by the way with baby!!!!

As it turns out, I went into Labour approx. 3 pm Thurs. 29 but didn't know it until after 5 pm. I was determined to stay out of hospital as long as possible so we went in about 1:30 in the morning. By that time I was only 4 cms. dilated, was hoping it was more, but it progressed fairly quickly after that.

My son & Tony were both in the labour room with me the whole time and Tony's son was in & out (he is 18). My son & Tony had attended two labour classes with me ahead of time so they were awesome and helpful. I couldn't have done it without them. John has a new respect for women and Tony is very grateful to the doulas for all they taught us!!

It was very intense and transition lasted a while which was the hardest. I not only felt extreme pressure with each contraction but sometimes nauseaus and shaky. The only thing that got me through was prayer and Tony's words. Most of labour I could not be in bed, just couldn't get close to comfortable. The nurse was awesome but of course she kept putting that damn fetal monitor belt on me to get baby's heart rate.I'm guessing around 6 a.m. i was checked again and the Dr. had to rupture the membranes.

Well, this was left up to us to decide. I was kind of stuck at 6- 7 cms. and wanted faster progression. I found pushing to be really hard cause i was sooooo tired. But finally after lots of coaching & help Tatianna was born at 7:41 a.m. Friday June 30. She was 8 lbs. 13 oz. and 19 3/4 long.

Because of my age and her size we had to spend a few days in hospital and they did some tests on her. She is beautiful and healthy and we finally came home Monday. It is good to be home finally. My room was often freezing cold. Most of the staff were wonderful but the odd one put me & Tony off.The nurse from Healthy & Home came over today and was very helpful, answering my questions. She weighed Tatianna, now 8 lbs. 7 oz. after being 8 3 just before leaving hospital. So, breastfeeding is going well. We've learned together and she is an awesome baby. But of course we all say that about our babes eh? Look forward to seeing all of you when possible. And to those who are still pregnant - hang in there thru the heat. It is SOOOOO worth it when you hold your baby and gaze at her with a love so huge you cannot imagine it.

Gwen

No comments: